Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A night in LA: Part I



Imagine yourself walking into a room filled with everything Hello Kitty. Picture that classic face of the mouth-less white cat on paintings and stuffed dolls to your everyday household appliances and food items. Yes, it sure does exist! Not only in Japan's Sanrio theme park, Puroland but right in the heart of Southern California. Last night, I went to an exhibit called "3 Apples Hello Kitty" at the Royal T gallery in Culver City. I have been in love with this iconic feline character since I was in grade school and I was ecstatic to find out that an exhibit was put together to commemorate her 35th birthday. The exhibit showcased Hello Kitty artwork by participating artists, various Hello Kitty paraphernalia and even Hello Kitty shaped food at the cafe. I had such a great time perusing the various installations. Visiting this exhibit made me wish that I had kept my past Hello Kitty memorabilia. Some of the stuff is worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars now. The gallery will house Hello Kitty until November 15 so catch it if you can! If you're a Hello Kitty lover like me, I promise it will be worth your time!
Hello Kitty electric guitar and bass guitar
Snowboard & Surfboard
The official "35th year" colors
This is supposed to be her apartment
I recall Eva Air teaming up with Sanrio back in the day. My grandparents would always save all the airplane "junk" for me because it had HK on it. :)
Lady Gaga's shoes. Who knew HK could be so sexy?
I'm all smiles for Hello Kitty!
The dolls!
This is actually a working balloon and it goes up and down. So cute!
Excuse the shadows!
One of my favorite art pieces from the exhibit
HK of the future?!
She even had a little house on display!
Another Lady Gaga photograph. In this one, she's wearing a 'dress' created from HK dolls. If you get a chance to see a larger version, her eyes are shut but have painted "cat eyes." It was a very interesting piece.

HK 35th Birthday limited edition collectible items. I caved in because you won't find these anywhere else! : ) I'm the worst 'justifier' for purchases!

Where else did I go last night? Find out in the next post!

3 comments:

Toothfairy said...

wow! hellooooo kitty! haha... so much in one post!

love the lady gaga pic though, wish I could see it in real life!

loves

Anna Patricia said...

My grade school best friend has her art work displayed in this event :)She drew hello kitty beating Godzilla!

Melissa said...

I LOVE THIS! i'm kinda embarrassed to say this, but I started a hello kitty club when I was in middle school lol!