Saturday, May 22, 2010

Food and Libations


Thanks to Yelp Elite, I can always count on something to do over the weekend. In fact, I've had to deny many opportunities as most of the activities tend to be at the same time. The best part about Yelp Elite events is that they are free! This weekend, I had to choose among free tickets to a new stage production, free food or the symphony. It was a tough decision. In the end, I went with....food! Does that surprise you? We made it through the last two weeks without eating out so I thought we needed a treat...a FREE one, that is.

The free tickets offered to events such as the symphony and what-not are more like 'freebies' for you to enjoy with a date/friend. Since I had not yet gone to a YEE (Yelp Elite Event, as the savvy Yelpers say) I decided to head on to Acqua Pazza in downtown San Mateo with Marc to check out the social scene. I was not disappointed and felt right at home with my newly-made friends. Meeting your "Yelp friends" in real life surely proves that social-networking tools do work! "Yelpers don't bite," was one of the first 'welcoming' statements I received from a fellow review-writing nazi as I made my way into the restaurant. I couldn't help but laugh out loud! I made new friends, sampled great food and participated in some wine tasting. We had to cut-out early so we didn't make it to dessert. But after 3 sampler plates of gnocchi, penne, endless bruschetta, fava bean spread and killer calamari rings, I doubt there would have been room anyway. Acqua Pazza's hospitality as well as the vibe created by a room of Yelpers made for a delightful afternoon. Not to forget, we learned how to make Gnocchi! How cool is that?

I found myself on Elite blog, doing what I do best. Haha! It felt great to know that I'm NOT the only one who does this. Everyone else was taking pics of the food! :P

Marc and I with some new friends enjoying plate after plate of authentic Naples cuisine.

To top off the weekend, our apartment management held a summer kick-off party for its residents by the pool. They had local businesses donate food which included some top-of-the-line sushi and free-flowing bubbly. It was a great way to meet the neighbors and get a sampling of the little mom-n-pop shops that I drive by but have never ordered from. That may change soon as I discovered some pretty good food all within reach.

With that said, I am STUFFED. I need to work out! In Yelp speak, SYOY! (See you on Yelp!)

1 comment:

Jennifer Young said...

omg sounds amazing alli! looks like you are enjoying you new place. and your yelp status--amazing!!! :)
j.